Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Floyd Mayweather Announces Manny Pacquiao Fight Via Social Media

Screenshot youtube
Floyd Mayweather’s long awaited fight with Manny Pacquiao has finally been confirmed after months of negotiations.

Both men have finalised terms for the clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2 - with the purse split 60-40 in favour of Mayweather.

Both camps reached an agreement on drug testing and both men able to wear their own gloves - no rematch clause has been included and rival television networks will share coverage of the bout, expected to be the most lucrative in boxing history.

Pacquiao has spoken openly about his desire to reach a deal, but there had been silence from Mayweather until he announced the news via social media.


"What the world has been waiting for has arrived," said Mayweather on the social networking website Shots. 

The photo-sharing app used primarily for selfies, where Mayweather is an investor. The App Store’s official Twitter account teased the announcement about 20 minutes early, prompting users to download the app. 


Shots CEO John Shahidi is smart when it comes to using social media to grow his business. Using the week’s biggest sports announcement as another plug.

"Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal.

"I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don't miss it! This is the signed contract from both fighters." "Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus. This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport. Boxing fans and sports fans around the world will witness greatness on May 2. "I am the best ever, TBE, and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win. Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do, but he won't be successful. He will be number 48."

‘Money’ is unbeaten in 47 fights with 26 knockouts, but 'Pac man' is considered the biggest threat to his status as the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.

Pacquiao was sleeping in the Philippines when the fight was announced, but his camp issued a statement saying the fans deserve the long awaited fight.

Manny suffered back-to-back defeats in 2012, the second a shocking stoppage loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, but he repaired his reputation with three straight victories.

"It is an honor to be part of this historic event," Pacquiao said. "I dedicate this fight to all the fans who willed this fight to happen and, as always, to bring glory to the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world."

Source