Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Man Rapes Woman He Had Seen At Bar While Her Partner Lay Next To Her In Bed

A Phoenix man was arrested Sunday after investigators said he broke into a an apartment and sexually assaulted a woman he'd seen earlier at a bar while the victim's friend lay frozen in fear next to her, according to court documents. 

Police said the 27-year-old-woman woke up about 4 a.m. on Nov. 5 in her apartment near Glendale and 27th avenues when she noticed the bathroom light was on. 

After she asked her friend who was in there, reports show, the bathroom light shut off. Police said the woman got out of bed and noticed someone behind the bathroom door, and when she opened the door further, she saw 54-year-old Tilfert D. Vaughn standing naked and holding a large serrated break knife, according to court records.

Vaughn made the woman lie down in the bed, and raped her while holding the knife to her throat, according to court documents.

The woman's 30-year-old friend woke up when Vaughn got in bed, and as the man struggled, his fingers came into contact with Vaughn's knife, causing deep wounds, reports show. 

Investigators said the knife wounds on the man were deep enough to require surgery to repair the nerve damage he suffered. 

Police said both victims feared Vaughn would kill them if they did not obey him.

After raping the woman, according to the documents, Vaughn told her, "Now you have a baby. Bless it and take care of it."

Vaughn then put his clothes on and left the apartment, according to reports.

Investigators also believe that Vaughn took several items from the couple's apartment, including sunglasses, toiletries, beer and food, and placed them in an empty apartment nearby before returning to assault the victims, according to court documents. 

Investigators compiled information from the woman's forensic exam and surveillance videos from the apartment and a nearby bar before they were able to confirm Vaughn's identity through an anonymous source, according to court records.

Police also requested a court order for Vaughn's DNA and matched it with physical evidence taken from the victim's forensic exam, according to court records. 

Vaughn admitted to police of being in the area that night, but denied having sexual relations and contact with the victims, according to police reports.

Vaughn is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing next week. His court documents show he does not have a bail set because of the sexual-assault allegations.


No comments:

Post a Comment